Welcome to the
National Emergency Nurses Association
What would you like to see?
Select one of the tabbed options below.
NATIONAL EMERGENCY NURSES ASSOCIATION INDEPENDENT
NENA-IND has been a Specialty Practice Group within CARNA and the Canadian Nurses Association since 1987. NENA-IND (formerly known as ENIG) is Independent’s chapter of the National Emergency Nurses Association Canada (1981): a professional association of Emergency Nurses from across the country dedicated to quality emergency care.
Our mission is to represent the Canadian Emergency Nursing specialty; improve standards of Emergency Nursing Practice; and promote both professional growth and clinical excellence in Emergency Nursing. NENA has published Position Statements and Standards of Emergency Nursing, a resource used by nurses, administrators, and in the legal system.
NENA-IND endeavors to improve communication among Emergency Health Care Providers. We are a resource on Emergency Nursing and are a voice on issues that affect Emergency Nursing. We actively support and participate in research pertaining to Emergency care and promote best practice.
NENA-IND is open to any nurse (RN or LPN) who is directly involved Emergency nursing care, (practice research, administration, and education). Emergency nursing can be provided in a hospital department- rural or urban, Urgent Care Center, flight nursing, forensic nursing, outpost or remote nursing. Only Registered Nurses may be voting members of our organization and hold elected offices. Current membership of NENA –AB is greater than 230.
The membership fee for NENA-IND is $50 per year. This fee activates membership in both NENA-IND and NENA.
The benefits of membership in NENA-IND are numerous. Members receive a subscription to the Canadian Journal of Emergency Nursing (CJEN) and a provincial newsletter 3-4 times per year. NENA has a website that is currently being redesigned and will be up and running in the near future. This promises to be a great resource and will have links to NENA-IND as well the other provincial groups. It will be a great venue with which to network with other Emergency nurses, not only across our province but nationally.
NENA-IND also has a Facebook page. We are continually striving for improved communication amongst Emergency health care providers. Membership also provides reduced costs for courses that are regulated by NENA: TNCC, ENPC and CTAS.
NENA-IND and NENA both offer annual bursaries which are available for any educational pursuit affecting your practice in Emergency Nursing, including support for Certification in Emergency Nursing (ENC (C)) through the CNA. To be eligible for a bursary or an award, membership must be current for 2 and 3 years, respectively. NENA has an Award of Excellence, an Award for Research and Lifetime Awards that are available.
NENA-IND willingly supports, and is available to support education throughout the province. We have a wide variety of experts with presentations, as well as monetary support is available if requested.
For an explanation and schedule, see all National NENA courses.
Below is a list of other courses and educational workshops in your region.
Access official information about NENA-IND
The NENA-IND Board of Directors and assigned program managers develop and approve a wide range of policies, positions, educational material, and administrative processes. These are captured in PDF documents and are accessible on this page.
Some documents are unavailable and are currently being updated and approved by the Board and will be available soon.
Contact the Board President or Secretary if you are looking for a document that cannot be found on this page.
- NENA Emergency Nursing Certification –Canada (ENC(C)) | Certification en soins infirmiers d’urgence de l’ANIIU
- Bursary Selection Policy | Facilitatrice pour la sélection des bourses
- Board of Director Qualifications | Qualifications des membres du Conseil d’administration
- NENA Archives | Archives NENA
- Definition of Member in Good Standing | Définition de membre en règle
- Media Response | Réponse des médias
- Board Meeting Observer | Observateur de réunion du conseil
- Standards of ED Nursing Practice | Normes de pratique
- Job Description ICAC Representative | Description du poste Représentant ICAC
- Job Description CJEN Editor
- Membership Categories and Dues
- Emergency Nursing Research Funding | Financement de la recherche en soins infirmiers d’urgence
- 2019 CNA CERTIFICATION | CERTIFICATION DE L’AIIC 2019
- International Education Teaching Assignment Policy | Postes d’enseignement à l’étranger
- Computer Systems Succession | Succession de systèmes informatiques
- Archived Bylaws | Règlements Archivés
- Submission Form for Resolutions at the AGM 2018 | Formulaire de soumission pour les résolutions à l’AGA 2018
- NENA Call for Resolutions 2018 | Appel à Résolutions NENA 2018
- Bursary Application Form | Formulaire de demande de bourse
- Bursary Information | Information sur les bourses
- Bursary Application | Demande de bourse
- Director of Education | Directeur de l’éducation
- Provincial Director | Directeur provincial
- Vice-president | Vice-Président
- Secretary Job Description | Description du poste de Secrétaire
- New Graduates in the Emergency Department-draft | Nouveaux diplômés au service des urgencies-project
- Critical Care Patients in the Emergency Department-draft | Patients en phase critique au service des urgencies-project
- Proposal to Amend the Bylaws*
- Information & Promotions
- Nomination Form | Formulaire de Proposition d’inscription
- Mission Statement
- Travel Reimbursement Form
- Photography Consent Form | Formulaire de consentement pour la prise
- NENA ENC(C) Bursary
- Policy Template
- Professional Practice Documents Committee
- Observer Policy | Observateur du Conseil d’administration
- Nursing Research
- Nominations Process | Processus de mise en candidature
- NENA Endorsed Course Fees
- National Conference
- National Conference Committee
- National Conference Chairperson
- Margaret Smith Memorial Bursary
- Job Description Past President Elect
- Job Description Website Coordinator
- Job Description Provincial Representative
- President | Président
- Job Description NCAC Representative | Description du poste Représentant de la NCAC
- Financial Administrator | Administrateur financier
- Job Description CTAS Representative
- Installation of Directors
- Honorary Lifetime Member
- Guidelines for Appeal of NENA Documents and Processes
- Expense Reimbursement
- Endorsement of Education Programs
- Departing Gift
- Debbie Cotton Memorial Bursary
- Conflict of Interest | Conflit d’intérêts
- CJEN Guidelines
- Bursary Awards Committee
- Annual General Meeting Standing Rules
- Medical Identification | Identification médicale
- Emergency Planning and Disaster Preparedness | Plans d’urgence et préparation aux catastrophes
- Violence in the Emergency Department | Violence au service d’urgence
- Observation Units | Unités d’observation ou de décision clinique
- Care of the Non-Fatal Strangulation Patients | Soins aux victimes d’une strangulation non mortelle
- End of Life Care for Potential Organ and/or Tissue Donors | Soins de fin de vie pour les donneurs d’organes ou de tissus potentiels
- Care of the Mental Health Health Patient in the Emergency Department | Soins des patients souffrant de maladie mentale ou comportementale au service d’urgence
- Procedural Sedation of Adults and Children in the Emergency Department | Sédation en vue d’une intervention chez les adultes et les enfants au service d’urgence
- Family Violence | Violence familiale
- Role and Use of Non-RN Care Providers in the Emergency Department | Rôle et utilisation des fournisseurs de soins infirmiers non réglementés au service d’urgence
- Infection Control/Implementation of Routine Practices | Lutte contre les infections et la mise en oeuvre de pratiques de base dans les établissements de soins actifs d’urgence
- Family/Primary Support Unit During Invasive Procedures and Resuscitation | Présence de l’unité familiale ou de soutien principale lors d’une intervention invasive et de la réanimation au chevet du patient
- Role of the Triage Nurse | Rôle de l’infirmière ou infirmier de triage
- Minimum Requirements for an Emergency Department Nurse | Exigences minimales pour la pratique infirmière au service d’urgence
- Emergency Department Core Competencies | Compétences de base en soins infirmiers d’urgence
- ED Overcrowding | Engorgement des services d’urgence
- Human Trafficking | Traite de personnes
- Care of the Sexually Violated Patient | Soins aux victimes d’agressions sexuelles
- No documents posted in this category
- No documents posted in this category
- No documents posted in this category
- Consolidated Constitution & Bylaws
- Bylaws, published 04/04/2014*
Click a link below.MORE INFORMATION COMING SOON
Thanks for your interest in the Emergency Nursing Association – IND.
We’re here to assist.
We are a volunteer run organization with an elected Board of Directors. The Board appoints a number of volunteers to manage various aspects of our organization. If you have questions or input please contact the appropriate individuals listed below.